Insure your Motorhome

  • Insure your Motorhome


Once you’ve chosen the right motorhome for you and worked out how you’re financing your purchase, the next thing to tick of the list is arranging motorhome insurance. Unlike towing a caravan, you can’t simply drive a motorhome on your car insurance – you will require a specialist motorhome insurance policy. 

Read on to find out more about motorhome insurance, the different coverage levels and the things you should consider!


There are three different levels of motorhome insurance to choose from, each offering different levels of cover. As with car and home insurance, the more comprehensive policies are costlier, so it’s important that you choose the right amount of coverage for your needs and budget.

  • Third-Party Only: This is the lowest level of cover offered and it strictly covers third party damage or injury caused by you whilst driving. In order to legally drive a motorhome in the UK, this is the minimum level of cover you’ll need.
  • Third-Party Fire & Theft: In addition to the elements covered in the third party policy, this level of cover also protects you against damage caused by fire and theft.
  • Fully Comprehensive: As the name suggests, this is the most comprehensive level of cover available. This type of policy provides cover for third party damage and injury, as well as a wide range of incidents, including accidental damage, fire, theft and vandalism.

As motorhomes (and campervans) are vehicles you can also live in, when you insure them, you’re typically covering the contents as well as the vehicle itself. Check the specifics of your policy to see whether you are covered. If not, you’ll need to take out a separate policy. It’s best to work out how much contents cover you require by estimating the worth of your equipment and the things you’ll be taking with you so that you know how much coverage you’ll need. 

Please note, unless you’ve declared the vehicle as SORN, you’re legally required to have a motorhome insurance policy.


Whilst we do not sell motorhome insurance policies, we can recommend a few insurance providers.

  • Caravan Guard: This provider offers campervan and motorhome insurance policies, with a number of benefits to protect your vehicle and cover it whilst you’re touring in the UK or Europe – or whilst it’s being used by family and friends.
  • Safe Guard: With a variety of campervan and motorhome insurance policies available, this insurance provider offers comprehensive cover for caravans and vehicles up to 10 years old, with UK and EU coverage and optional breakdown cover.
Why Choose

Tamar Caravan Centre

  • Easy Drop Off
    With a large parking area boasting easy access for dropping off or collecting your caravan and a comfy and well-appointed waiting area, we’ve made it as simple as possible to get your caravan serviced with us!
  • Latest Equipment & Tools
    We’ve invested in the latest testing equipment to help the team with diagnostic works when servicing caravans, so we can detect any hidden dangers and remedy them immediately to make your caravan safe for use.
  • Experienced Team
    Our caravan service centre is staffed by an experienced team of engineers who undertake regular manufacturer and industry training in order to remain up to date with the ever-changing technologies used in the industry.
  • Modern 8 Bay Workshop
    Our caravan workshop is NCC approved and run in accordance with the AWS code of practice, so you can guarantee that the caravan service you book with us is carried out to a high standard.
  • Swift Approved Dealership
    We’re an award-winning, Swift Approved Dealership and as such, have direct access to the Swift Connect customer service system. This enables us to order and fit approved parts and product upgrades, carry out Swift servicing and deal with warranty repairs.
  • AWS Approved
    Tamar Caravan Centre are an AWS (Approved Workshop Scheme) workshop, which means that our motorhome and caravan servicing is approved by the majority of manufacturers (regardless of whether we’re a retailer or agent of the brand).